Western University - Presidential Data Fellowships 2020 - April 3, 2020 Closing date

As a key element in Western University’s new Institutional Data Strategy (https://www.uwo.ca/datastrategy/), we are pleased to announce that we are seeking applications for our new Presidential Data Fellowships for 2020.

Up to five Presidential Data Fellowships will be awarded in the fall 2020 competition to highly qualified applicants from any country. Ideally suited for those who wish to pursue an academic career, the Presidential Data Fellowships are innovative, elite, research-focused postdoctoral positions, which include the opportunity to participate in curriculum design and delivery. Successful applicants will be outstanding scholars and teachers, who have demonstrated great potential for continued contributions to research and teaching.

These fellowships are valued at $80,000 per year (plus benefits) for a two-year term. More information about benefits can be found here: https://www.uwo.ca/hr/benefits/your_benefits/postdoc/flexcredits.html.

Approximately 80 per cent of the fellow’s time will be spent working on primary research with a faculty mentor; the remaining 20 per cent will be dedicated to the design and delivery of innovative data science training.


Candidates should have completed (at minimum) a PhD in data science (or a related area) and have significant experience in the development and application of contemporary data science techniques. This includes, but is not limited to: machine learning, artificial intelligence, data analytics, statistics, their related methods, and the social interfaces thereof.

Application Information

Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae and three letters of recommendation not later than April 3, 2020 to: https://www.uwo.ca/hr/working/staff/.

At least one reference should comment on the candidate’s teaching abilities. The position will start on August 3, 2020. Questions can be sent via email to mharmos@uwo.ca.

We appreciate all replies to this posting, but only applicants under consideration will be contacted.

About Western University

Western University is a major educational and research center located in London, Ontario, with 25,000 undergraduate students and 6,000 graduate students. London, known as The Forest City, is an affordable, diverse, and lively community close to the Great Lakes and two hours from Toronto. The city offers many options for outdoor and cultural activities.

Western is committed to equity and diversity. It welcomes and encourages participation from women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, persons of any sexual orientation, persons of any gender identity or gender expression, and others who may contribute to diversification.