GSoC 2024 Project Idea 7.2 Image feature and classification database (350 h)

The Active Segmentation platform for ImageJ (ASP/IJ) was developed in the scope of GSOC 2016 - 2021. The plugin provides a general-purpose environment that allows biologists and other domain experts to use transparently state-of-the-art techniques in machine learning to achieve excellent image segmentation and classification. ImageJ is a public-domain Java image processing program extensively used in life and material sciences. The program was designed with an open architecture that provides extensibility via plugins computing different filters and region descriptors (i.e. image features).

SQLite is a small, fast, self-contained, high-reliability, full-featured, SQL database engine. SQLite is the most used database engine in the world and is available on many platforms.

The last GSOC 2023 project implemented a GUI integrating SQLite as a proof of concept. Computed image features and class memberships are stored in a general SQLite database. However, the present table structure is not optimal and can be improved.

The project idea: At present, the feature space and the classification results produced by the platform are stored in several separate files. The candidate should redesign the database and implement necessary changes at the UI level.

Tasks
● Fix existing issues and bugs
● SQL database design
● UI redesign

Minimal set of deliverables
● Requirement specification - Prepared by the candidate after understanding the functionality.
● System Design - Detailed plan for the development of the plugin and test cases.
● Implementation and testing - Details of implementation and testing of the platform.

Skill level: Intermediate

Required skills: Java, SQL

Time commitment: Full-time (350 h)

Lead mentor: Dimiter Prodanov (dimiterpp@gmail.com), INCF Belgian Node

Project website:

1. ImageJ: https://imagej.nih.gov/
  2. Active Segmentation : GitHub - sumit3203/ACTIVESEGMENTATION: Active Segmentation Project
  3. SQLite: SQLite Home Page

Backup mentors: Sumit Vohra, ZIB, Berlin, Germany

Tech keywords: Image Segmentation

1 Like

Hello,
I am final-year Computer Science Student, I am willing to contribute in this project.
I have installed ImageJ, now I am bit confused how to install ACTIVESEGMENTATION and contribute in it. I have knowledge in java and sql both. Please help me with your guidance.

Thankyou

Your Sincerly,
Nitin Chandani

Hi,
My Name is Mohit Mahur.
I am second year Programming and Data Science Student in Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, India.
I am interesting to contribute in your project Idea 7.2.
I have done java and Sql. It will be helpful for me if you could guide me in further steps.

Thank You
Mohit Mahur

Dear Mohit,
Sorry for the late answer. Here are some resources about the platform.

I have posted a tutorial and there is also an article describing the code

best regards,

Dimiter

I am Adebayo Okutubo, a postgraduate student of Computing at the Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Northampton, United Kingdom. Prior to pursuing my postgraduate studies, I accumulated valuable experience as a core Java/SpringBoot Backend Software Engineer at TM30 Global in Nigeria. During my tenure, I led projects involving the development of a middleware system integrated with the Central Bank of Nigeria’s eNaira and a Terminal Management System for an Agency banking solution. These projects afforded me practical exposure to the intricacies of software engineering, particularly in designing reliable and maintainable systems, employing design patterns, and implementing complex algorithms.

I am keen on contributing to Project Idea 7.2, drawing upon my background, experience, and your mentorship. I am confident in my ability to undertake this project effectively and exceed expectations in its completion, thereby benefiting every user and the wider community.

Best regards,
Adebayo Okutubo