Error in fMRIPrep brain_extraction_wf on cluster

Hi,

I am using fMRIPrep (20.2.7) in a Singularity (2.6.1) container on our cluster. I get an error when trying to do this in the brain_extraction_wf - it reports a missing results file. The logs are here:

Node: fmriprep_wf.single_subject_p01_wf.anat_preproc_wf.brain_extraction_wf.lap_tmpl
Working directory: /home/radhanila/scratch/fmriprep_wf/single_subject_p01_wf/anat_preproc_wf/brain_extraction_wf/lap_tmpl

Node inputs:

args = <undefined>
copy_header = True
dimension = 3
environ = {'NSLOTS': '1'}
num_threads = 1
op1 = /home/fmriprep/.cache/templateflow/tpl-OASIS30ANTs/tpl-OASIS30ANTs_res-01_T1w.nii.gz
op2 = 1.5 1
operation = Laplacian
output_image = <undefined>

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/plugins/multiproc.py", line 67, in run_node
    result["result"] = node.run(updatehash=updatehash)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 521, in run
    result = self._run_interface(execute=True)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 639, in _run_interface
    return self._run_command(execute)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/pipeline/engine/nodes.py", line 751, in _run_command
    f"Exception raised while executing Node {self.name}.\n\n{result.runtime.traceback}"
nipype.pipeline.engine.nodes.NodeExecutionError: Exception raised while executing Node lap_tmpl.

File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/core.py", line 454, in aggregate_outputs
    setattr(outputs, key, val)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/traits_extension.py", line 330, in validate
    value = super(File, self).validate(objekt, name, value, return_pathlike=True)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/traits_extension.py", line 135, in validate
    self.error(objekt, name, str(value))
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/traits/trait_handlers.py", line 172, in error
    value )
traits.trait_errors.TraitError: The 'output_image' trait of an ImageMathOuputSpec instance must be a pathlike object or string representing an existing file, but a value of '/home/radhanila/scratch/fmriprep_wf/single_subject_p01_wf/anat_preproc_wf/brain_extraction_wf/lap_tmpl/tpl-OASIS30ANTs_res-01_T1w_maths.nii.gz' <class 'str'> was specified.

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/core.py", line 399, in run
    runtime = self._post_run_hook(runtime)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/mixins/fixheader.py", line 127, in _post_run_hook
    outputs = self.aggregate_outputs(runtime=runtime).get_traitsfree()
  File "/usr/local/miniconda/lib/python3.7/site-packages/nipype/interfaces/base/core.py", line 461, in aggregate_outputs
    raise FileNotFoundError(msg)
FileNotFoundError: No such file or directory '/home/radhanila/scratch/fmriprep_wf/single_subject_p01_wf/anat_preproc_wf/brain_extraction_wf/lap_tmpl/tpl-OASIS30ANTs_res-01_T1w_maths.nii.gz' for output 'output_image' of a ImageMath interface

As suggested in this thread, I checked if the necessary template files are accessible in the container using singularity shell and they are. So, it looks like it’s the output from the workflow that is missing. I am not sure how to proceed. I’d appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Radha

Hello,

A few things that will help us understand your issue more:

1. Is this error subject specific or is it across all of your subjects?
  2. Can you try upgrading to a new version and using a fresh working directory?
  3. What is your fmriprep command?
  4. Do you have read/write permission on all relevant drives (input directory only needs read permission)?

Best,
Steven

Hello Steven,

Here are my answers:

`Is this error subject specific or is it across all of your subjects?`

No, it is not. It happens for all the 3 subjects I tried.

Can you try upgrading to a new version and using a fresh working directory?

I was using fMRIPrep 21.0.0, but we had issues with running that on our cluster (it was failing early on in the workflow because of ANTS). Our cluster manager told me that some of compute nodes were old and probably not compatible with the latest ANTS. So, I had to use fMRIPrep 20.2.7.

Also, I did already delete the working directory and the output directory and run it again - got the same error. Is there some other cache somewhere that I need to clear as well?

What is your fmriprep command?

Sorry I missed adding this earlier. The command is:

singularity run --cleanenv -B $bids_root_dir:/work \
  $bids_root_dir/code/fmriprep-20.2.7.simg \
  /work/ /work/derivatives/fmriprep/ \
  participant \
  --participant-label p01 \
  --skip-bids-validation \
    --md-only-boilerplate \
    --fs-license-file /work/code/license/license.txt \
    --fs-no-reconall \
    --output-spaces $output_space \
    --nthreads $nthreads \
    --omp-nthreads 6 \
    --stop-on-first-crash \
    --mem_mb $mem_mb \
    -w $tmp_work_dir

These directory variables have been set and appear to be parsed correctly as I see from the logs. I run it with 8 threads and 27GB memory.

Do you have read/write permission on all relevant drives (input directory only needs read permission)?

I think I do. Part of the workflow does get executed and the relevant directories are created in the working directory. I also get a report file with the error in the output directory, which should mean write permissions are in place (but, of course, I can check this explicitly as well). I have attached a screenshot of the error.

Thanks,
Radha