GSoC 2023 Project Idea 13.1 A social-web tool to facilitate rating and commenting on research reports (350 h)

Hello…!!,
I am Shitij Agrawal from College Of Engineering Pune, I am Third Year Student persuing BTech in Computer Engineerign. I have goan through the entire decisscion and found this project intresting.
I have a proposal with essentials + some new ideas.
Hope it is not too late for this time …!!

@Shitij_Agrawal - no, it is not too late, welcome, but please go through the thread above.

1 Like

@suresh.krishna how can we share drafted proposal with you so you can comment on the same?

1. Should every article submitted to open-review api be displayed on sci-commons (or) articles submitted to only sci-commons be displayed?
  2. Should we facilitate group creation in sci-commons as well or else are they same as open-review?
  3. Should we facilitate users to rate the article submitted apart from reviews?
  4. what is meaning “journal communities”? are they not venues?
  5. Should a user registered in open-review again register in Sci-commons (or) should the open-review portal credentials work here?
1 Like

just send me a link to the google doc or to a file on some shared storage space like dropbox via direct message

@JyothiSwaroopReddy07

All great questions, thank you.

• Should every article submitted to open-review api be displayed on sci-commons (or) articles submitted to only sci-commons be displayed?

only those submitted to sci-commons (and stored on openreview as a well-supported permanent repository like arXiv, but with some advantages like allowing anonymous submission). Reason to use openreview as storage is to leverage openreview capacities as much as possible since it is free, well-supported, and intended for this purpose, and also for linkages to other portals in future etc.

• Should we facilitate group creation in sci-commons as well or else are they same as open-review?

Not sure what the groups are for, but for now, not needed. Communities can of course form - there will be guidelines for that - these communities are groups of researchers with interests in a specific area who can “approve” papers thye wish to, and the author then has a chance if needed to pick one of these approving communities as the “journal” for purposes like indexing on Pubmed etc.

• Should we facilitate users to rate the article submitted apart from reviews?

Yes. But no drive-by ratings… ratings have to come with reviews. There may even be a minimum text-length for the review.

• what is meaning “journal communities”? are they not venues?

Hopefully comment above helps explain it. It is probably easiest to simply forget about what currently exists on openreview, except to indicate the features that can be used.

• Should a user registered in open-review again register in Sci-commons (or) should the open-review portal credentials work here?

open-review credentials may not even be needed to post. but on this, i am not entirely sure, since i have not thought it through. having a registration process on sci-commons is however, a good idea, so it does not rely on openreview credentials, for various reasons, including decisions about how pseudonymity is handled. (pseudonymity is where the system knows who are you in real life, but it is not publicly visible, unless perhaps you chose to display it)

1 Like

Thanks for clarifications.

I didn’t find any option to send you a direct message!! I sent a request via Github regarding the project proposal. Can you please look into it?

Hope you are doing well! I look forward to your reply

Dear @suresh.krishna,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Ananya Kalsotra, and I am writing to express my interest in participating in this project for Google Summer of Code 2023.

I am currently a Fourth-year undergraduate at the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur pursuing a major degree in Mining Engineering, and a minor Degree in Computer Science and engineering along with a specialization in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. I have experience in Full Stack Development, and I am eager to apply my skills to a real-world project. I have been working on various front-end and Back-end projects for 3 years now. I have done various machine learning and data analytics projects as well.

I am particularly interested in this project because I have already worked on a similar project before and my skill set aligns with the required skills. I’m aware of the commitment required in these projects and I believe that my skills and experience make me a strong candidate for this project, and I am excited about the opportunity to contribute to open-source software development through Google Summer of Code.

I just wanted to know, if there are any resources, such as documentation or tutorials, that I can use to get myself familiarized with the project or technology. Also, If you could tell me about the technical stack that will be used in the project, including programming languages, frameworks, and tools?

Kindly, enlighten me on how to proceed further.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss this project further, please let me know.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Best Regards,
Ananya Kalsotra
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur

I saw the Github issue you opened, but I do not see any message from you, or do not know how to find it… in any case, Neurostars does have a private messaging feature if you want to reach me. It is possible that you need some level of privilege for it to be visible… not sure about that. But others have messaged me successfully without issue. @Dinakar_Chennupati

@Ananya_Kalsotra - Please first go through the discussion on this thread. Then familiarize yourself with the GSoC process through the website, and then get back in touch with me, with ideas or a specific proposal etc. The technical stack depends on the contributor(s), as mentioned above.

Welcome aboard, you seem very well-suited to the project.

Yeah may be there is some level of previlege to send a private message. I’ve posted a google link in the Scicommons repository for you see it. Kindly look into it!

Or if you won’t mind could you send me a private message yourself so that I can share and recieve feedback/suggestions from there?

1 Like

Note to all: Please note that you cannot be doing another job or internship or even courses during the 12 week GSoC period without prior discussion and approval, and it has to be mentioned clearly in your proposal. You are expected to be devoting full time and attention for 350 hours in total, during the week, not on weekends, and daily updates as well as availability for meetings will be expected. GSoC pays quite well for this internship. Please understand that if this is violated, you are in serious risk of failing the program.

You can see this clearly described in various messages here: https://groups.google.com/g/google-summer-of-code-discuss/search?q=full-time%20another%20job

hey
i am Aditya ojha .I wanted to reach out to express my interest in the project idea that you have proposed for the Google Summer of Code program this year. I have carefully read through the project documentation and find the idea to be very innovative and exciting.
My query is that , as there is no previous code contributor has to start from scratch so he/she may choose any backend framework ? and can you provide proposal template?

Thanks , I am also viewing it. How can we interact to have a discussion on my proposal

Welcome… please go through the entire thread and the Github page, create a proposal and if it is early enough, i can give you feedback. IF you have specific questions that are not already answered above, you can ask them here. @affan_ansari

@Aditya_Ojha yes you can choose any framework for your proposal. and there is no template other than what the proposal instructions etc. indicate.

Hello Everyone, My name is mohammed Sani Mohammed A third year student computer engineering, I would like to contribute on this topic part of GSOC 2023, I have pratical working knowlede with python, Html, CSS, JavaScript, React, SQL, PHP, Jquery, I have develop various college and personal project using this rechnologies. please i need a feedback in order to proceed further, I am also looking for mentor.

Hey sir!
This is Abhimanyu this side . I am quite interested in INCF organisation, can anyone tell how can we start contributing to this organisation

Please redirect to this page to get some context