GSoC 2024 Project Idea 11.1 A social-web tool to facilitate rating and commenting on research reports (350 h)

It is generally agreed that the 10 billion USD research/science publishing industry represents a bad way to expend scarce research funds. Funded by university budgets and grants to researchers, and based on the volunteerism of the research community, this market diverts substantial sums from the research activity itself, while putting up barriers to access to the research literature. Current open-access mandates merely transfer the costs from reader to authors and/or their funding/employing organizations. Research journals provide objective peer-review and an article rating and filtering mechanism. In last year’s GSoC project, we leveraged modern internet-based social technology to create an open reviewing and quality-ranking web portal that, if adopted, will drastically improve research discourse, functioning and accessibility.

The project involves the further development of the portal and the addition of several features, including those based on LLMs and NLP AI. Familiarity with Django/React as well as Python will be ideal. The system will eventually be tested with the Aperture Neuro open access publishing platform of the Organization for Human Brain Mapping (OHBM), in consultation with that community.

Skill level: Intermediate/advanced

Required skills: Comfortable with Python, Django, React (or close equivalents). Experience with web technology – React/equivalent Javascript library, front-end programming, back-end programming with databases.

Time commitment: Full-time (350 h, large project)

Lead mentor: JB Poline (@jbpoline), Jyothiswaroop Bommareddy (@JyothiSwaroopReddy07 )

Project website: https://www.scicommons.org/

Backup mentor: Suresh Krishna (@suresh.krishna)

Tech keywords: Science publishing, social web, science portals, Natural language processing, large language models, AI.

1 Like

Hello @greg_incf, I am Shubham. I am an undergrad Engineering student from Ramaiah Institute of Technology based out in Bangalore, India. I have a good hold in Python along with the JavaScript frameworks(Express, Node, React) essential for web development including working with databases(PostgreSQL). I have also worked with a startup organization(EverythingPay), where I had the opportunity to work as a full stack developer which helped me in gaining a good experience in full stack development. I found this project interesting and I believe that I possess the essential skills to work on this project. Please provide me with more details regarding the organization and their IRC channel so I can start the contribution as soon as possible.

Thank you.

I’ve included my CV for your consideration, highlighting my relevant skills and experience. I don’t know why its not considering my PDF format resume as in PNG format hyperlinks in resume are not active.

Personal Information:
Full Name: Kamakshi Ojha
Email: kkamakshiojha@gmail.com
GitHub/GitLab Profile: KamakshiOjha (Kamakshi Ojha) · GitHub

I am genuinely excited about the opportunity to contribute to Open Science Publishing project. To ensure that I can make a meaningful impact during GSoC, I am committed to thoroughly researching and learning the technologies and methodologies relevant to the project.

In order to facilitate my learning process, I kindly request guidance on recommended resources such as documentation, tutorials, articles, and books for your project.
I would appreciate the mentors’ suggestions for a good first issue that I can tackle.
Thank you for considering my application, and I look forward to the opportunity to contribute.

Continuing the discussion from GSoC 2024 Project Idea 11.1 A social-web tool to facilitate rating and commenting on research reports (350 h):

Hi @greg_incf , my name is Maira Usman and I am a third-year undergraduate student at Usman Institute of Technology with two years of working experience . I am currently working as a Research Intern at Micro Electronics Research Lab and actively contributing to open-source projects.

I have previous experience working on projects that involve similar concepts. For instance, I developed AskWise, an online forum designed to facilitate knowledge sharing and discussions. This experience has given me valuable insights into web development, database management, and user interaction design.

Additionally, I have worked on Querypls, a project focused on leveraging NLP techniques for SQL query generation. This project involved fine-tuning language models to improve query generation accuracy, which I believe aligns well with the goals of the Open Science Publishing project.
Github: https://github.com/Myrausman

Is there any initial task or could you provide some guidance?

@Shubham_Soni @Myrausman @ADARSHJHA @kamakshi_ojha - thank you all for your interest.

The project, in its current state, is live at scicommons.org.

The code-base is available to download at:

m2b3/SciCommons-frontend (github.com)
m2b3/SciCommons-backend (github.com)

The project is in Django/Postgresql and React.

@JyothiSwaroopReddy07 is the co-mentor, and was the student who wrote this code as part of GSoC 2023.

Please feel free to ask questions here as needed, but please do your own thinking and homework first, and spend time on your posts/questions.

0 - 2 of you are selected via GSoC (based on the projected, but not guaranteed, number of slots the project may get). Those who are not selected are of course welcome to contribute in any case if they are able to.

The goal for you between now and April 2, the application deadline, should be to study the code-base, understand the directions in which we want to extend this, and write up a detailed coding proposal for how to accomplish these goals, in a way that is aligned to your background and existing skills. There are several templates available on the web for successful GSoC proposals - use one of those. We can also give you feedback on 1 version, if you send it to us sufficiently in time.

We will post some of the possible extensions in a day or two.

Looking forward. All the best !

1 Like

Thank You so much , for providing the code-base and Jyothi Sir contact, Looking forward to contribute at my full potential. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much @suresh.krishna

Also, please use Neurostars for all communication, rather than direct emails. Thank you.

1 Like

The goal of this year’s GSoC is to add the features that will allow us to bring the site live. Everything you code will likely make an impact in few months.

The code repositories are right now in the repo of the m2b3 lab at Mcgill University. There are 2 separate repositories for the frontend(GitHub - m2b3/SciCommons-frontend) and the backend(GitHub - m2b3/SciCommons-backend).

The stack is based on React for the front-end, and Django+Postgresql for the back-end. You have to be familiar with these technologies, or be willing to learn, since the stack is not likely to change at this point.

You can fork the repositories and work on your local instance.The installation instructions are given in the README.md files of each repository. Please try to set it up.

You can also suggest some improvements/make them and ofcourse to find bugs etc. You can also try out the site at scicommons.org(https://www.scicommons.org/).

We will put up a list of feature enhancements in the coming days. In the meantime, get familiar with the code-base and test it out. Feel free to reach out to Jyothiswaroop, via Neurostars(Profile - JyothiSwaroopReddy07 - Neurostars), if you have any issues. Please think before you reach out though, do some homework and read up, and only ask after you have put in some work and thought - and please describe in detail what you did. It is important that you do this before you ask for help - we have busy day-jobs and we are helping many of you at the same time.

2 Likes

Hello @greg_incf @suresh.krishna, I am Akshaya Krishnan, a second year undergrad at Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Amritapuri, India. I have a good understanding of React, Django, Python and Tailwind and have done several projects with the same stack. This project really caught my attention and I am really interested in contributing to the same. I will be familiarising myself with the codebase and testing it out. I would like to know how I can get started. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

@Akshaya_Krishnan welcome. thanks for the interest. Please familiarize yourself with the codebase and watch this space. @JyothiSwaroopReddy07 will post a list of new requested features in a few days.

Yes and thank you :+1:

Hello Everyone,
I’m Eslam Ashraf, currently in my final year pursuing a degree in Computer Engineering at Cairo University.

I am looking to contribute to the fields of Angular, Django and AI. I have a good experience as Full stack using React, Django and MySQL. I have a good experience in NLP and Computer vision. I am experienced with a number of programming languages, including Python, Java, and C++.

I was wondering if I want to join the " A social-web tool to facilitate rating and commenting on research reports" project in GSOC 2024.

Email: eslamashraf.12342@gmail.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/eslam-ashraf-b70880216/
GitHub: EslamAsHhraf (Eslam Ashraf) · GitHub
Portfolio : https://eslamashhraf.github.io/

1 Like

Hey everyone! I am Armaan, a final year undergrad. Its great to be back again trying to contribute to this project. I am currently going through the codebase that @JyothiSwaroopReddy07 has provided. Looking forward!

1 Like

@Eslam_Ashraf @armanalam03 - welcome, please take a look at the messages above. @JyothiSwaroopReddy07 will post a feature roadmap soon, and you are all welcome to contribute as you prepare your proposals. All the best !

Hello @suresh.krishna,
Could you please provide an update on when we can expect the new requested features or contribution list to be released?

1 Like

here are some of features you can work on so that we can understand your skillset better.

1. URL identifier for each comment under article:

Make a url which can be shared using comment ID, when accessing url it must show the comment which it is associated to.

1. Modification of Frontend design:

The frontend design has sidenav which is clickable, We want a fixed side navigation similar to instagram and must be responsive on mobile devices.

1. Improvement on Frontend design of article page:

The article page below has comments written the design is not upto the mark, If you have any better designs.Try to enhance them.

1. Implementation of private communities:

We have implemented communities where in any user can submit an article and get it reviewed and published.Each article has new comment section under it(which can be seen publicly). We want to create private communities and people can add any article they want into their community and discuss over the topic(but the discussions done on this private communities must not be visible to public and should be private only to particular community)

1. User to User basic Chat Implementation:

Implementation of basic chat features between user to user using web-socket programming.

1. Notifications for chat related updates on platform:

When a user messages in a group or to other user, he must be notified regarding this.

1. Implement asynchronous tasks like sending emails,sending notifications using Celery:

There are regular emails being sent, it is better to send emails on asynchronous worker, so that it wont be burden to server. To leverage this try to use celery.

1. Implementation of Group chat:

Each article has a unique group chat page where any user can share his views. Create a Group chat with join and leave feature from that group. And user must be only notified of new messages if he has joined the group.

5 Likes

ok thank you @JyothiSwaroopReddy07

1 Like

A bit more detail on the private communities @JyothiSwaroopReddy07 mentioned above. This is the primary major feature we are looking to add right now. To give more detail, communities on the site at present are all public. The possibility of private communities means that the site can be used as a journal club or discussion group or reading group, without any risk of comments being read by non-members. This is a high-priority major update, since the site can be used in this form in order to iron out bugs before its use as an open portal.