GSoC 2024 Project Idea 11.1 A social-web tool to facilitate rating and commenting on research reports (350 h)

anybody can set up a community and then invite people. for now, you can have all communities be hidden, unless you get an invite… but one could also have 2 versions - one where you can find community info and request to join even without an invite, and another where community is hidden completly. all this can be setup in community options by community owner/moderator.

Hello @greg_incf @suresh.krishna,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Raju Bugude, and I have experience as an intern at Cisco as a software engineer. I pursued my B.Tech from NIT Nagpur. I am reaching out to express my interest in participating in the Google Summer of Code program under this project.

My experience primarily lies in Python and Django, both of which I have utilized extensively in personal projects. You can find some of these projects on my GitHub profile here. Additionally, I have hands-on experience with Django Rest Framework and React, having deployed projects on AWS using services like EC2 and S3.

The opportunity to contribute to the enhancement of research accessibility through this project is particularly appealing to me. I believe that my skills combined with my dedication to this cause, make me a strong candidate for this project. Thank you for considering my application.

Warm regards,
Raju Bugude

1 Like

@Raju - welcome. Please read the messages above and welcome aboard.

glad to here from you @Raju .you can setup the repositories and try to resolve issues. so that we can assess your understanding of development.

you can start raising prs on github @kamakshi_ojha . if you have any doubts please reach out to me

1 Like

ok @JyothiSwaroopReddy07 JyothiSwaroopReddy07

@JyothiSwaroopReddy07 Is there any platform where i can post my doubts related to assignment or need to use this platform only?

1 Like

@kamakshi_ojha you can create private thread tagging with @suresh.krishna and me. so that we can understand your approach better.
yeah we mostly use the neurostars for communication

Hello @suresh.krishna @JyothiSwaroopReddy07 and everyone. My name is Dinakar Chennupati. I’m a student graduated from NIT Calicut last year. Lots of interesting features have been implemented in the project. Looking forward to participate.

Nonetheless, Currently I am not able to create an account in the website in order to test out some features and stuff. Can you @JyothiSwaroopReddy07 update me on that?

2 Likes

The database is currently disconnected. You can fork and create a local copy. However, @JyothiSwaroopReddy07 should bring the database back up soon when he gets the time. If someone knows enough about Render etc. to help him, please volunteer.

1 Like

You can check it once now. I have connected the database.

@JyothiSwaroopReddy07 Sir could you please check our private thread? I’ve shared a few doubts that I would appreciate your help with. Resolving them will enable me to contribute further. Thank you!

1 Like

In addition to the various features mentioned above, there are two more:

a) Add/improve the ability to pull up articles by DOI and/or arXiv id… Zotero’s open-source code-base may help in this regard. In general, in future, we are targeting a Zotero plugin to the site as well, so that comments can be made from Zotero. We respect, like and look up to Zotero a lot.
b) Create a unit-testing framework for the site, as it grows to have more than 1 contributor. This is becoming very important, because changes are likely to break the site.

1 Like

Hi @suresh.krishna @JyothiSwaroopReddy07
In addition to the above feature the following are the pull requests which needs to be included.

1. The issue when more than 1 user requests to join a particular community .
    (When I tried the same process in website same error repeats(can be seen in console)).

2. Adding celery to handle asynchronous tasks.

1. The below pull request is a security hotspot for attackers, so now used Cryptographically Strong PseudoRandom Number Generator (CSPRNG)

Please review and let me know any changes are still required.
I’m looking forward to contribute more.

Warm Regards,
Raju Bugude

1 Like

this is docs which contains feature list.

Thank you, @Raju . This seems great. @JyothiSwaroopReddy07 will review it when he gets a chance.

2 Likes

Hi, everyone my name is sahil pradhan, I am a full-stack web developer I work with React, NextJS, express, and Python. I’m looking forward to contributing to gsoc 2024.

I did see “Feature List docs”, do I need to create an issue first or directly do a pull request for features?

1 Like

@Sahil_Pradhan - welcome. @JyothiSwaroopReddy07 will reply regarding his preference.

1 Like

Please note that the features list Google Doc mentioned above is being actively maintained and edited. Many of you have also been contributing very useful changes, thank you ! Most of these are already live on the site.

1 Like

@Sahil_Pradhan You can create a issue and link the pr to that particular issue.