Introduce yourself!

Hello all! My name is Keerthi Krishnan. I am an assistant professor at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA. My lab’s general interest is in neural plasticity mechanisms in social behavioral contexts, using mouse as a model system. We are beginning to use Deeplearning approaches to mouse behavior. My background is in Molecular and Cellular Biology. Looking forward to learning and contributing to this Brave New World of Neuroscience! Active on Twitter (@KeerthiKrishna3)

2 Likes

Hi Neuromatch! I’m an Assistant Professor at UCLA and will be starting the Integrated NeuroModulation and Neuroimaging Lab at the University of Utah in January. The INMaN lab uses electrophysiology, direct brain stimulation, and fMRI to explore the causal organization of neural networks involved in the interaction of emotion and memory. I’m excited to be an NMA mentor. Feel free to reach out on Twitter at @IM_Inman. Looking forward to working through some ideas with you!

3 Likes

Hi Neuromatch! My name is Jason (pronouns he/him/his), I’m a post-doc at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada, and it looks like for the next few weeks I’ll be one of your NMA mentors.

My research focuses on laterality, specifically as it applies to human behaviour. I have a background in kinesiology, neuroscience, and psychology - I’m a bit all over the place. My research has touched on reaching/grasping kinematics, measurements of hand preference and skill, the evolutionary origins of handedness in humans, the integration of head+eye movements, and the influence of reaching on gaze behaviour (and vice versa). My methods are pretty basic compared to many others here, but I’m hoping I’ll be able to help out in other ways. Looking forward to learning a lot from this community!

3 Likes

Hi All! I’m Eran Mukamel, an Associate Prof of Cognitive Science at UCSD where I study neuronal epigenomics and computational analysis of neural data. I’ve done work on calcium imaging and human and rodent electrophysiology, focusing on general anesthesia. Looking forward to the academy!

Eran

3 Likes

Hi everybody,

My name is Anatoly Buchin, I do computational neuroscience research at Allen Institute for Brain Science. I am interested in machine learning, cell biophysics, neural network dynamics, and single cell transcriptomics. Looking forward to mentor some students this year!

Cheers,
Anatoly

4 Likes

I am Prof. Rabiu AbduSSALAM Magaji of the Department of Human Physiology, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria. Happy to be part of the NeuroMatch Family to contribute my wealth of knowledge of Basic Neuroscience and to also learn alot about Computational Neuroscience.

1 Like

My name is Sonia Joseph. I’m a recent grad in neuroscience and computer science from Princeton, where I worked at the Princeton Neuroscience Institute. I’m about to work with the Stringer Lab at Janelia building deep learning models of the visual stream in mice! :mouse2:

I’m applying to PhD programs in computational neuroscience and/or computer science this fall. I’m looking for potential advisors and good research matches. Going forward, I’d love to talk to professors and grad students about their labs.

Like many of you here, I’m interested in the area between machine learning and computational neuroscience. My independent work was on the goal-driven paradigm of neural nets (e.g. can AlexNet model the visual stream?) and word vector models of language comprehension in the cortex. Currently, I’m interested in whether deep models trained on naturalistic movies will take an internal structure reminiscent of the brain. I’ve also been coding an open-source library called Emergence of energy-based models, including Hopfield Networks and Restricted Boltzmann machines. Feel free to ping me if you want to join :slight_smile: :rocket: I’m loving the enthusiasm of this forum and looking forward to meeting people here.

3 Likes

Hello Everyone:

My name is Nipuna Weerasinghe (He/Him/His). I am originally from Sri Lanka, where I got my bachelors’ degree in chemistry with computer science as a minor subject (at the University of Colombo). Then I came to the US for my Ph.D. in analytical chemistry and biophysics.

I am currently working in Prof. Michael F. Brown’s lab in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Arizona. My current research interest is on understanding the structure and functioning of G-protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs) at the molecular level. GPCRs are a very hot research topic among the neuroscience and drug discovery and development communities. Out of 1286, FDA approved drugs, 475 (34%) targeted GPCRs. I am using multiple molecular spectroscopic techniques to probe the conformational dynamics of the activation process of the rhodopsin and integrate these experimental results with computational and theoretical work to get independent and complementary insights into the activation process of the rhodopsin.

My initial interest in the neuroscience arose out of my patch-clamp work related to the GPCR, acetylcholine receptor that responds to the binding of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter. My long term goal is to be a researcher in academia, who engage in basic biomedical research. As someone interested in interdisciplinary research, I found neuroscience to be an intricate subject. Moreover, tackling research questions in neuroscience often called for a strong interdisciplinary background in fundamental principles in biology, chemistry, physics, and computational science, instrumentation, and biochemistry and molecular cell biology techniques. I believe that by having a good basic understanding in such an area would train anyone to consider the many and varied perspectives from which any research topic can be explored and remains a major reason why I want to participate in NMA. Also, I am interested in finding out whether I would like to pursue my Ph.D. in computational neuroscience and structural bioinformatics.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Everyone! My name is Nafisa Jadavji. I am an assistant professor in Biomedical Sciences in the US. My lab studies the brain, maternal nutrition, neurological diseases, and aging. In my spare time I love to bake and knit. You can find out more about what we do at jadavjilab.com and I am also on Twitter @nafisajadavji
I am looking forward to the next few weeks!

3 Likes

Hi Everyone! My name is Pragati Gupta. Recently i have completed my master’s degree in Neuropsychology. Excited to be a part of NeuroMatch Academy to explore more about the field of computational neuroscience being a beginner to this field. I am interested in source localization- eeg, machine learning algorithms, Brain computer interface in terms of Neurorehabilitation ( for patients with Traumatic Brain Injury, Stroke) focusing the emotional decision making and motor imagery treatments. Looking forward to gain some amazing insight in this domain!

2 Likes

Good morning from Heidelberg, Germany!

I am Muad (Moad or Mua’ath if you can figure out how to spell it). Originally from Israel/Palestine, currently in my last year of PhD in Neuroscience (somatosensory system).

Mainly working with calcium imaging, voltage imaging, and single-cell sequencing data. Looking forward to the following weeks!

1 Like

Hi,I am Guowei, I am a three year post-graduated student in Linguistic science and Art college, Jiangsu Normal University.I major in linguistics and applied linguistics, especially Neuro linguistics. I am familiar with fmri tools such as SPM, FSL and other computational tools for conduct human brain bold activity and behavior, such as machine learning, RSA and so on. Almost time, I use MATLAB and R in my program, and I am taking into a program that how the attention demands of task affect stutters’ lexical semantic processing. A few EEG analysis experiences was gained by a project which I attend in summer, 2019. I can use EEGLAB and do some basic analysis. I am really appreciate that I can take this chance to improve my program ability and computational skills.

1 Like

Hi, everyone. I am Mohit, a first year Bioinformatics Masters student from Bioinformatics Centre, University of Pune, India.

My research interests include neural circuits, neural dynamics, decision making, visual systems neuroscience, algorithms, pattern matching, protein folding, machine learning and Game Theory. I am a huge advocate of interdisciplinary learning, and it was one of the driving forces of me applying for NMA, and I couldn’t be more excited.

At the moment, I am working on rescue perturbation dynamics in large scale complex systems, focusing on food-webs at Centre for Ecological Sciences, Indian Institute of Science. I am also a research intern at National Centre for Cell Science, Pune in the Brain and Behavior Laboratory, working on role of choline transporters in sugar memory expression in D.mel. Apart from that I am engaged in coursework and a course-project where I am screening synthetic and natural derivative peptide libraries for preventing alpha synuclein fibrillation in Parkinson’s patients.

When I am not studying or working, I am playing a lot of video games (at the moment its Assassin’s Creed Origins and Metal Gear Solid V : The Phantom Pain!), seeking out about sci-fi, watching MasterChef Australia or inking - street and wall-art.

My pod is pod-139-talented-wrasse.

Looking forward to connect with you all on LinkedIn and Twitter!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, my name is Ching-Lung Hsu, I am an electrophysiologist and modeler who is enthusiastic about understanding how the complexity of single-neuron computations contributes to flexible neural functions at the circuit and behavioral levels. Currently, I’m working in Nelson Spruston’s lab at Janelia Research Campus in the US, but will start my lab in Academia Sinica in Taiwan in September, 2020.

Love to talk about neuroscience!

1 Like

Hi all,
I am Sharu, PhD student from Magdeburg, Germany. I have always wanted to do learn about fMRI analysis. New to Python platform but proficient in MATLAB, I hope joining this forum is a good start.

1 Like

Hi all. I am Antony from India. Working as a Mathematics faculty at department of Computational Science, CHRIST University, Delhi-NCR Campus. I am an aspirant in this field of Computational neuroscience.

3 Likes

Hello everyone!
My name is Vaishnavi (Vaishu; she, her, hers)
I am a 3rd year PhD student at Western University, London, Ontario. I am co-supervised by Dr. Andrew Pruszynski and Dr. Julio Martinez-Trujillo. I am interested in somatosensory processing in the upperlimb (read hand etc.) and the cortex, as well as motor control of the upper limb. I am working on understanding these concepts better in my PhD (read- I basically know very little at this point).
I enjoy cooking and experimenting with food (haa… experiment at home as well :smile:), doing some craft work, reading fiction, and performing/learning salsa (the dance, not the sauce).

It’s lovely to be here, and I’m looking forward to learning and having fun :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi everyone, I am Anna Jafarpour, studying learning and memory at the University of Washington, USA. These days I am investigating the neural mechanism of encoding and retrieval of memories of naturalistic sequences of events. For my research, I use computational modeling and analytical techniques with ECOG/EEG/MEG signals mainly. I am very excited about being a mentor at NMA! Here is the link to my twitter profile https://twitter.com/annajafarpour.
Anna

4 Likes

Hi everyone, my name is Angel Huang and I’m a PhD student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, US. I am currently studying the thalamo-cortical interactions during attentional behavior in an animal model by combining multi-region in vivo ephys recording and optogenetics. I am excited to learn more about how to leverage machine learning to gain more insights from the data, and looking forward to starting NMA with you!

1 Like

Hi,
My name is Trinnawat Charoenpradubsilp. I’m from Thailand. Now I’m working as a data engineer at Rabbit Alchemist, a Bangkok-based company. Right now I’m quite interested in the Reinforcement Learning topic. Also, I would like to study other topics related with AI including Neuroscience. I will try to contribute anything I can. Let’s learn together.

Cheers,
Trinnawat

1 Like