Introduce yourself!

My name is Arpit Shrimankar and Currently, I am a Master’s student from Department of Biomedical Engineering of Government Engineering College Gandhinagar ,Gujarat, India . My research interest is in Computational Neuroscience -
Single cell modelling,network modelling for Neurodegenrative Disease .
I’m also really excited for the NMA,
Also looking for new opportunities for working in computational neuroscience for neuro-degenerative disease specially for Alzheimer Disease

6 Likes

And a wicked good mentor he is, too, folks!

1 Like

Hi all, I’m Jennifer Groh, from Duke University where I’m a prof in a bunch of depts (Psych, Neuro, CS, BME). My lab works at the junction between theory and experiments, focusing on spatial computations related to audition, vision, and eye movements (neurophysiology, behavior, modeling, stats). At Duke I teach Intro Programming in CS and the Neural Basis of Perception in Psychology/Neuroscience and at Coursera I teach The Brain and Space. Reseach-wise, here are two recent studies from my group on neural mutliplexing and how eye movements affect hearing. I’m on twitter (@jmgrohneuro). Looking forward to meeting you all and being a mentor!

3 Likes

Hi there,

My name’s Jaime (or James) McCutcheon. I’m a Professor of Biological Psychology at UiT The Arctic University of Norway where our lab moved about a year ago. We primarily use in vivo neuroscience techniques (e.g. voltammetry, fiber photometry) to study how the brain controls food intake with a focus on the nutrients in food.

We’re based in the beautiful city of Tromsø, which is on a small island in a fjord surrounded by mountains. You can see some pictures and learn a little more about the research we do at our webpage.

Looking forward to participating in this workshop!

2 Likes

Hi, everyone, I’m Jemma. I’ve just finished an MSc in Cognitive Neuroscience in London, and am excited to learn more about computational neuroscience over the next 3 weeks! In future, I’d love to do a PhD on the applications of computational neuroscience in mental health.

4 Likes

Hello Everyone, My name is Aina Puce. I am an NMA Mentor. I am a social neuroscientist who works mainly with EEG, and to a lesser extent with MEG, ECoG and [f]MRI/DTI through my collaborators. I am based at Indiana University in the department of Psychological & Brain Sciences. I am looking forward to this wild & crazy adventure we are all going on for the next 3 weeks! I will be available for questions of all sorts - science, method, career, but will not be teaching the course per se. We have a wonderful team of very accomplished & clever faculty who will be doing that. I look forward to learning from them also! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hello everyone, my name is Tim Zhang. I am a third-year human factors engineering PhD student at the University of Arizona minoring in neuroscience. I am just beginning my neuroscience research journey, but the work I have done include analyzing data from DaTscan to find the indicative factors of the early onset of Parkinson’s disease. I am looking forward to the three-week workshop and meeting you all!

3 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m Román Baravalle from Argentina!
I’m a Ph.D. in Physics and I’m working in EEG time series analysis (in particular in the context of visuomotor tasks and BCI) and statistical models of neural populations (studying the effects of skewness and kurtosis in the population’s behavior).

I’m really happy from being part of this great project :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello all! I am João, a PhD student at University of Cambridge with a joint supervision between the Department of Psychology and the Department of Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. I have a mixed background in Neuroscience, Psychology and Statistics with some experience in mobile app development. For my PhD, I am developing computational models of speech auditory processing based on EEG/MEG data and developing a Brain-Computer Interface for people with developmental neurological conditions that cause speech processing impairments (like dyslexia).

Really happy to be here and eager to start this amazing journey!

2 Likes

Hi, I’m an Assistant Professor at the University of Oregon where I direct the Action Control Lab. We investigate transitions between rest and movement in the human motor system using a variety of methods including behavioral testing, electrophysiology, brain stimulation, and Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. Most recently, we developed VETA, a Matlab toolbox for 1) online visualization of electromyography combined with brain stimulation embedded in behavioral tasks, and 2) offline data visualization and processing. I’m excited to be an NMA mentor, and I’m on Twitter (@Greenhouse_Lab).

2 Likes

Hello all! My name is Keerthi Krishnan. I am an assistant professor at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, USA. My lab’s general interest is in neural plasticity mechanisms in social behavioral contexts, using mouse as a model system. We are beginning to use Deeplearning approaches to mouse behavior. My background is in Molecular and Cellular Biology. Looking forward to learning and contributing to this Brave New World of Neuroscience! Active on Twitter (@KeerthiKrishna3)

2 Likes

Hi Neuromatch! I’m an Assistant Professor at UCLA and will be starting the Integrated NeuroModulation and Neuroimaging Lab at the University of Utah in January. The INMaN lab uses electrophysiology, direct brain stimulation, and fMRI to explore the causal organization of neural networks involved in the interaction of emotion and memory. I’m excited to be an NMA mentor. Feel free to reach out on Twitter at @IM_Inman. Looking forward to working through some ideas with you!

3 Likes

Hi Neuromatch! My name is Jason (pronouns he/him/his), I’m a post-doc at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada, and it looks like for the next few weeks I’ll be one of your NMA mentors.

My research focuses on laterality, specifically as it applies to human behaviour. I have a background in kinesiology, neuroscience, and psychology - I’m a bit all over the place. My research has touched on reaching/grasping kinematics, measurements of hand preference and skill, the evolutionary origins of handedness in humans, the integration of head+eye movements, and the influence of reaching on gaze behaviour (and vice versa). My methods are pretty basic compared to many others here, but I’m hoping I’ll be able to help out in other ways. Looking forward to learning a lot from this community!

3 Likes

Hi All! I’m Eran Mukamel, an Associate Prof of Cognitive Science at UCSD where I study neuronal epigenomics and computational analysis of neural data. I’ve done work on calcium imaging and human and rodent electrophysiology, focusing on general anesthesia. Looking forward to the academy!

Eran

3 Likes

Hi everybody,

My name is Anatoly Buchin, I do computational neuroscience research at Allen Institute for Brain Science. I am interested in machine learning, cell biophysics, neural network dynamics, and single cell transcriptomics. Looking forward to mentor some students this year!

Cheers,
Anatoly

4 Likes

I am Prof. Rabiu AbduSSALAM Magaji of the Department of Human Physiology, Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria. Happy to be part of the NeuroMatch Family to contribute my wealth of knowledge of Basic Neuroscience and to also learn alot about Computational Neuroscience.

1 Like

My name is Sonia Joseph. I’m a recent grad in neuroscience and computer science from Princeton, where I worked at the Princeton Neuroscience Institute. I’m about to work with the Stringer Lab at Janelia building deep learning models of the visual stream in mice! :mouse2:

I’m applying to PhD programs in computational neuroscience and/or computer science this fall. I’m looking for potential advisors and good research matches. Going forward, I’d love to talk to professors and grad students about their labs.

Like many of you here, I’m interested in the area between machine learning and computational neuroscience. My independent work was on the goal-driven paradigm of neural nets (e.g. can AlexNet model the visual stream?) and word vector models of language comprehension in the cortex. Currently, I’m interested in whether deep models trained on naturalistic movies will take an internal structure reminiscent of the brain. I’ve also been coding an open-source library called Emergence of energy-based models, including Hopfield Networks and Restricted Boltzmann machines. Feel free to ping me if you want to join :slight_smile: :rocket: I’m loving the enthusiasm of this forum and looking forward to meeting people here.

3 Likes

Hello Everyone:

My name is Nipuna Weerasinghe (He/Him/His). I am originally from Sri Lanka, where I got my bachelors’ degree in chemistry with computer science as a minor subject (at the University of Colombo). Then I came to the US for my Ph.D. in analytical chemistry and biophysics.

I am currently working in Prof. Michael F. Brown’s lab in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Arizona. My current research interest is on understanding the structure and functioning of G-protein-coupled receptors (GPCRs) at the molecular level. GPCRs are a very hot research topic among the neuroscience and drug discovery and development communities. Out of 1286, FDA approved drugs, 475 (34%) targeted GPCRs. I am using multiple molecular spectroscopic techniques to probe the conformational dynamics of the activation process of the rhodopsin and integrate these experimental results with computational and theoretical work to get independent and complementary insights into the activation process of the rhodopsin.

My initial interest in the neuroscience arose out of my patch-clamp work related to the GPCR, acetylcholine receptor that responds to the binding of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter. My long term goal is to be a researcher in academia, who engage in basic biomedical research. As someone interested in interdisciplinary research, I found neuroscience to be an intricate subject. Moreover, tackling research questions in neuroscience often called for a strong interdisciplinary background in fundamental principles in biology, chemistry, physics, and computational science, instrumentation, and biochemistry and molecular cell biology techniques. I believe that by having a good basic understanding in such an area would train anyone to consider the many and varied perspectives from which any research topic can be explored and remains a major reason why I want to participate in NMA. Also, I am interested in finding out whether I would like to pursue my Ph.D. in computational neuroscience and structural bioinformatics.

Cheers!

1 Like

Hi Everyone! My name is Nafisa Jadavji. I am an assistant professor in Biomedical Sciences in the US. My lab studies the brain, maternal nutrition, neurological diseases, and aging. In my spare time I love to bake and knit. You can find out more about what we do at jadavjilab.com and I am also on Twitter @nafisajadavji
I am looking forward to the next few weeks!

3 Likes

Hi Everyone! My name is Pragati Gupta. Recently i have completed my master’s degree in Neuropsychology. Excited to be a part of NeuroMatch Academy to explore more about the field of computational neuroscience being a beginner to this field. I am interested in source localization- eeg, machine learning algorithms, Brain computer interface in terms of Neurorehabilitation ( for patients with Traumatic Brain Injury, Stroke) focusing the emotional decision making and motor imagery treatments. Looking forward to gain some amazing insight in this domain!

2 Likes