Introduce yourself!

Hello everyone,

I am excited to join Neuroacademy. My name is Yaxin (pronounced as Yaksin) Liu, a third year phd student in cognitive development program at Emory University. My research interests include computational and mathematical models of visual illusions, intuitive physics, and mental imagery in both children and adults. Recently, I am exploring modeling gender differences in mental rotation task. Outside of lab, I am a mom of two cats and I enjoy cycling, music, and philosophy.

I hope to learn a lot and make friends during my time at Neuroacademy!

3 Likes

Hey,

I am Cem and studying Cognitive Neuroscience.

My main interests are predictive coding and bayesian statistics.

Hope to see someone who has same interests.

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hi! I’m Cláudio Teixeira, Adjunct Professor at Pará University Center (CESUPA), Amazon, Brazil. I’m interested in dynamics of complex systems and solve problems.

3 Likes

Hi friends:

My name is Julio and I’m in my 5th (crossing my fingers for last) year at Auburn University in the cognitive and behavioral sciences doctoral program. My research is centered around understanding the effects of cannabis on pain neurobiology, which we explore using high-field functional MRI and MRS. In my spare time, I like doing anything outdoors- especially hikes with my doggos.

Looking forward to working with everyone!

3 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Katie and I am a PhD student working at Temple University. My current research interests include (but are not limited to) white matter microstructure underlying social cognition and biomarkers of aging in white matter. Most of my work will be in diffusion imaging in the future. I primarily use FSL software, but I have just begun to utilize DIPY software as well. I am interested in diving deeper into neuroscience methodology and tools.

I am relatively new to the computational neuroscience scene, but I hope to learn a ton more while participating in neuromatch! Excited to be working with you all!

Best Wishes,
Katie

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I am Vismitha and I’m an undergraduate student at University of Hyderabad, India. I am pursuing an Integrated Masters degree in Systems Biology. I’m a beginner to the subject and I’m here to learn as much as I can from experts. I’m interested in neuroepigenetics and I’m looking to get some ideas on how to put together a masters project on the same.

Looking forward to learning and strengthening my foundations in neuroscience!
Hope to learn from you all!

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am Shubhankar Saha, Integrated-PhD student at Indian Institute of Science, currently in my 2nd year of Masters. Trained in conventional aspects of biology, I turned towards the fascinating world of neuroscience to understand how our mind makes sense of the visual world around us. I am interested in cracking the code of vision by peeping into primate brain via single-electrode recording and using fMRI and psychophysics to conjunct my investigation with behavioral aspects. I am also interested in understanding vision through machine learning and neural networks.

I am in an early stage of my research career and am very happy to be part of such a diverse and happening community and look forward to stimulating discussions on neuroscience.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am Pieter. I am a PhD candidate at the department of experimental psychology of Ghent University in Belgium. In my PhD we investigate the role of neural oscillations in human cognitive flexibility. For this purpose, we use computational modelling and EEG.

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

My name is Francisco Sacadura. I’ve just finished my integrated masters degree in Neuroscience at University College London and will start my PhD in Neurobiology and Behavior at Columbia University in the fall. During my masters, I worked with Prof Tom Mrsic-Flogel on the role of cortico-cerebellar interactions during goal-directed behaviour. Before that, I worked with Dr Adam Hantman on the role of proprioceptive feedback to cerebellum in skilled forelimb movements, with Prof Michael Hausser on the neural circuits in mouse barrel cortex underlying perceptual decision-making, and with Prof Patrick Haggard on the EEG correlates of human thermal pain perception.

For my graduate studies, I aim to combine theory and experiments to dissect the distributed neural circuits and computations underlying sensorimotor control and learning. Since my background is mostly experimental, I’m hoping Neuromatch Academy will provide the perfect introduction to the field of computational modelling! Looking forward to meeting you all!

Best,
Francisco

5 Likes

Hi! I am David Luque. I do cognitive neuroscience (mostly EEG) and study reward learning and attention in humans. My web.
Cheers!
David

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Gilles Vanwalleghem, I’m a post-doc at the University of Queensland doing all sorts of things with larval zebrafish. I mostly do bioinformatics nowadays, but I have a background in immunology/parasitology.

Cheers,
Gilles

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m Alessio Buccino, currently a postdoc at ETH Zurich. My main interest is in using biophysically detailed models and engineering techniqus to tackle common proplems in extracellular electrophysiology. Currently working on combining multiple recording modalities (patch+extracellaular+imaging) to build better models. A bit more here

Cheers
Alessio

4 Likes

Hi everyone!
My name is Esra. I’m studying medicine in Gazi University, Turkey. I have experience in data science and machine learning. I’m interested in neuroscience and want to work on computational neuroscience.
Other than these, I’m an entomology enthusiast and I love insects. I’m interested in sociology. I love coding and data.
So excited to be part of NMA. I’m looking forward to meet and learn with all of you.

4 Likes

Hello everyone!

my name is Dimitris and I’m a passionate Statistician. I also have a Phd in Biostatistics and in the last few months I have been working on my PostDoc which is based on Machine Learning techniques. Moreover, I am a member of the Greek Statistical Institute and the Economic Chamber of Greece.

My research work is centered around developing and integrating innovative statistical approaches to advance human health.

In parallel with my research, I work as a Teaching Assistant in the School of Health Science and Education of Harokopio University in Athens and a Group tutor of Statistics and Actuarial courses.

I’m also instructor of a series of courses and e- seminars in data Analysis using SPSS / STATA statistical packages, as well as the programming language R and Python.

My Specialties are: Statistics Education, Biostatistics, Multivariate Analysis, Nutritional Epidemiology, R, Python, STATA, IBM SPSS, Data Mining, Machine Learning … and I hope to meet people with common interests.

I am looking forward to learn more about Neuroscience!

5 Likes

Hello!!

I’m Giacomo Valle, postdoctoral researcher at ETH Zurich. My research interests are in neuroengineering and computational models: neuroprostheses in animal and human models for the peripheral stimulation of the nervous system in order to understand the neural control of movement, prostheses control and the sensory feedback.

Looking forward to discuss interesting neuroscientific topics!

Add me on Linkedin (https://www.linkedin.com/in/giacomo-valle-a1407794/)

4 Likes

Hello everyone

I am Shashank Hiremath, pursuing 4th year of Bachelors of Engineering in Computer Science. I am from Karnataka, India. I recently completed my internship at Samsung R&D Institute Bangalore, where I worked in the domain of Natural Language Processing.

I am curious to learn about how the brain works and explore the world of AI in computational neuroscience.

Do connect with me on Linkedin:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/shashank-hiremath

Thank you

3 Likes

Hi everyone!

I am Kohitij Kar (you can call me just “Ko”). I am currently a postdoc in Jim DiCarlo’s lab at MIT. My research combines non-human primate electrophysiology, causal perturbations, and behavioral assays with machine learning and AI to solve visual cognition.

Excited to be a part of NMA as a NMA_mentor! Really looking forward to all the upcoming interactions. You can follow me on twitter (@KohitijKar).

Here’s something from Feynman that I can currently very much associate with,
"It doesn’t matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn’t matter how smart you are. If it doesn’t agree with experiment, it’s wrong. "

4 Likes

Hello,

My name is Patrick McClure. I am currently a Machine Learning Research Scientist at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). My work mainly focuses on using deep learning in neuroscience, both as a data analysis tool for neuroimaging data and as a computational model of the human visual ventral stream (https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=8TKyUl4AAAAJ&hl=en). If you have questions on these topics, feel free to contact me.

Best,
Patrick

5 Likes

Hi, I’m John. I was a physicist and then an electrophysiologist, and now I try to pass as a neuro-statistician. My lab at Duke works on a bunch of topics like adaptive experiments, retinal coding, vocal behavior, and cognition.

Looking forward to serving as a mentor at NMA!

5 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Lucas Pinto. I’m starting my lab at Northwestern University later this fall. We’re interested in how distributed brain areas interact to support different cognitive computations, especially in the context of decision making. We use a combination of VR-based behavior in mice, optical tools to record and perturb activity at large scales, and computational models. I’m very excited about being a mentor at NMA!

7 Likes