Introduce yourself!

I am Akinyemi Omoniyi, PhD student in Ahmadu Bello University, Nigeria. Currently in Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark where I am investigating dorsal root ganglia in normal and db/db mice subjected to spared nerve injury and botulinum neurotoxins. I’m new to the world of neuroinformatic and very excited and curious to gain knowledge and understand how computational neuroscience tools solve biological questions, build professional development and networking, and how-to-model skills.

Looking forward to learning with you all!

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I am Sylvie Bindas, a rising second-year PhD student in the department of Behavioral Neuroscience at OHSU in Portland, Oregon (USA). I’m interested in computational approaches to reinforcement learning and decision-making studies. I’m very new to the world of computational neuroscience, but really excited to meet & learn with you all!

2 Likes

Hello! My name is Jake Gavenas, I’m now a third-year PhD student in Chapman University’s Computational and Data Sciences program, and I do neuroscience research at their Brain Institute. I’m interested in computational modeling of decision-making and voluntary actions, as well as large-scale brain activity/global brain states. I’m ecstatic to be involved in Neuomatch this summer, and am looking forward to learning everything over the next couple of weeks!

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I am Kevin, just finishing my MSc in Applied Maths at Uni of Edinburgh. I did my BSc in Computer Science. I main research stream is deep learning. I study neuroscience to understand biological neural networks and try to get inspiration from BNN to improve ANN and understand ANN to understand BNN. I’ve been studying cognitive and computational neuroscience beside my uni curriculum and I really like it. The feeling that I roughly understand how my brain works is amazing. So, I want to learn more about computational neuroscience and I’m really excited about NMA. Look forward to meeting new people in this field and sharing ideas and knowledge. Feel free to message me if you want to chat! I think I talked to much. I leave some for later.

5 Likes

Hello all, I’m Markus Pleijzier, a first year PhD student in Greg Jefferis’ lab at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, University of Cambridge. My PhD is focussing on understanding how valence is attributed to perceptual phenomena and how learning can affect valence classification in innate and learning circuits. For this, I’m using several whole brain, synaptic resolution connectomic datasets of the Drosophila melanogaster brain. I plan on using these connectomic datasets to build functional models of activity propagation within the circuits. I will also use genetics, behaviour imaging, electrophysiology, optogenetics to address this project in a multilevel way.

Markus

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Ladan Shahshahani.
I’m a PhD student at the University of Western Ontario and I’m mainly interested in the cerebellum and it’s role in cognition. I work with fMRI data and I’ve been mainly using MATLAB for analysis. But recently, I have moved some of my analysis to python!
Excited to be a part of this and can’t wait to meet you all!

cheers,
Ladan

2 Likes

Hey all! I’m also here for Neuromatch Academy and I’m excited to participate. I’m currently a Visiting Scholar doing post-bac work with the Theunissen Lab at UC Berkeley, which is an auditory neuroscience lab. I’m interested in harnessing advanced statistics to further understand the connection between perception and action in the zebra finch brain. I’m also interested in optimizing hardware for neuroscience research.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Amber. I graduated with a double major in psychology and philosophy from Chapman University in southern California in 2019. Since then, I have been working as a postbac research assistant with the Brain Institute at Chapman and have been focussed on developing my skills as a researcher. I will be applying to grad schools this fall! I am primarily interested in the neuroscience of consciousness and perception, but also philosophy of mind :slight_smile:

I am very excited for Neuromatch and to be a part of this community!

6 Likes

Hi all!
My name is Ilaria and I’m an MSc student in Mathematics at University of Pavia, and I recently developed a growing interest in computational neuroscience. In particular I am interested in both classical and topological-geometric modelling, and in computation.
As a side I am also a neurolinguistics enthusiast.

I’m looking forward to knowing you all and learning a lot of new stuff!

3 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Can (pronounced like ‘tsan’ in Chinese). :wink:

I am a 4th year graduate student from University of Chicago. Our lab is interested in hippocampus related memory and we use two photon calcium imaging technique to study animals navigating in virtual reality(VR) environment. I like every topic in neuroscience and look forward to working with you guys!

During quarantine I planted a lot of plants, which is fun! :seedling:

Cheers,
Can

9 Likes

Hello!
My name is Ashley and I am a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Bordeaux. I will be participating in the Neuromatch Academy this summer and am looking forward to learning with everyone! I work with in vivo electrophysiology data: membrane potential, LFP, and spikes. I’m interested in the hippocampus, place cells, and memory.

5 Likes

Hello, I’m Nikte
A Mexican neuroscience PhD student. So excited to be part of NMA.
Hope to get know as many of you as possible while we make history in the education/science history!!!
twitter.com/nikterequejo

5 Likes

Hi people,
I am Smith Gupta, a pea in the pod-113-chirpy-elephant. I graduated in Electrical Engineering from IIT Kanpur, India, and went on to work at Qualcomm for a few years. During this period I also read the works of Maturana, Varela, Hofstdater among others, and I found my interest in cognition. Following this, I returned to IIT Kanpur to work with Dr. Nitin Gupta in the Lab of Neural Systems. We work on decoding the olfactory mechanisms in Drosophila, and the stereotyped behavior caused by this sense.
On the other side, I also like to play bass, my music taste spans classical and rock genres. Finally, I want to congratulate the organizers for setting up this school on such a grand scale. I am excited to learn with you guys!

3 Likes

Hi Jochem, maybe I can help something, please send me a PM. :slight_smile:

Hi everyone!

My name is Paul, and I’m super excited to be a part of NMA!

I have just completed my undergrad in neuroscience and in September I will be joining the Ryan Lab in Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute, where I will be researching instinct and memory. I hope to use the computational skills that I gain at this academy to improve my research and lead to more exciting discoveries.

I look forward to meeting you all and having a great time learning about computational neuroscience!

3 Likes

Hola a todos!! my name is Jonathan Cortés, from Chile.

Currently doing my PhD in Göttingen, Germany. At the International Max Planck Research School for Genome Science. In that context, Im working and developing my research project in the German center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE). Epigenetic and Alzheimer disease are the topics that stole my sleep at night.

Bioinformatics, computational neuroscience, psychology with focus on single cell level of analysis…and… as afision (hobby (?) ): Astronomy, physics, rocket science, which no means that I understand everything, but I like it haha.

Always happy to speak about any topic in science, and life…

The best for everyone !!!

7 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m an incoming Ph.D. student at WashU in St. Louis and study cognitive effort and control and am joining a lab this fall that does a good amount of reinforcement learning and neuroimaging, which is scary for me since I don’t have too much experience with any of that haha. I like all things sports and have played soccer for much of my life. I also have two cats named Ginger and Toasty and I promise they are the cutest.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I’m Antonio Parziale and I’m a Postdoctoral research fellow with the Natural Computation Lab at University of Salerno (ITALY) :it:
My research interests include computational models of motor system :brain: and handwriting analysis :writing_hand: for automatic writer identification and early diagnosis of neurodegenerative disorders.
I would like to understand how brain learns and controls movements and I live in middle of artificial intelligence and computational neuroscience.

I’m a member of pod-101-crafty-caribou

You can find me on:

Contact me, if you want or need!

2 Likes

Hello, i’ SALMA ,i’m second year Phd student so excited to sh

3 Likes

Please allow me to briefly introduce myself. I am Haiyang Geng, a final year Ph.D. student at the cognitive neuroscience center, the University of Groningen, the Netherlands. In my Ph.D. projects, I am exploring the common roles of prediction in different psychiatric symptoms (i.e. anxiety, hallucination, and apathy) by using multiple neuroimaging approaches including brain activation, connectivity (i.e. PPI) and dynamic functional connectivity (i.e. sliding window, K-means, and phase synchronization), graph theory (i.e. modularity analysis). I have many experiences in designing cognitive tasks and analyzing fMRI data, but very new in computational neuroscience.

3 Likes