Introduce yourself!

Good morning from Heidelberg, Germany!

I am Muad (Moad or Mua’ath if you can figure out how to spell it). Originally from Israel/Palestine, currently in my last year of PhD in Neuroscience (somatosensory system).

Mainly working with calcium imaging, voltage imaging, and single-cell sequencing data. Looking forward to the following weeks!

1 Like

Hi,I am Guowei, I am a three year post-graduated student in Linguistic science and Art college, Jiangsu Normal University.I major in linguistics and applied linguistics, especially Neuro linguistics. I am familiar with fmri tools such as SPM, FSL and other computational tools for conduct human brain bold activity and behavior, such as machine learning, RSA and so on. Almost time, I use MATLAB and R in my program, and I am taking into a program that how the attention demands of task affect stutters’ lexical semantic processing. A few EEG analysis experiences was gained by a project which I attend in summer, 2019. I can use EEGLAB and do some basic analysis. I am really appreciate that I can take this chance to improve my program ability and computational skills.

1 Like

Hi, everyone. I am Mohit, a first year Bioinformatics Masters student from Bioinformatics Centre, University of Pune, India.

My research interests include neural circuits, neural dynamics, decision making, visual systems neuroscience, algorithms, pattern matching, protein folding, machine learning and Game Theory. I am a huge advocate of interdisciplinary learning, and it was one of the driving forces of me applying for NMA, and I couldn’t be more excited.

At the moment, I am working on rescue perturbation dynamics in large scale complex systems, focusing on food-webs at Centre for Ecological Sciences, Indian Institute of Science. I am also a research intern at National Centre for Cell Science, Pune in the Brain and Behavior Laboratory, working on role of choline transporters in sugar memory expression in D.mel. Apart from that I am engaged in coursework and a course-project where I am screening synthetic and natural derivative peptide libraries for preventing alpha synuclein fibrillation in Parkinson’s patients.

When I am not studying or working, I am playing a lot of video games (at the moment its Assassin’s Creed Origins and Metal Gear Solid V : The Phantom Pain!), seeking out about sci-fi, watching MasterChef Australia or inking - street and wall-art.

My pod is pod-139-talented-wrasse.

Looking forward to connect with you all on LinkedIn and Twitter!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, my name is Ching-Lung Hsu, I am an electrophysiologist and modeler who is enthusiastic about understanding how the complexity of single-neuron computations contributes to flexible neural functions at the circuit and behavioral levels. Currently, I’m working in Nelson Spruston’s lab at Janelia Research Campus in the US, but will start my lab in Academia Sinica in Taiwan in September, 2020.

Love to talk about neuroscience!

1 Like

Hi all,
I am Sharu, PhD student from Magdeburg, Germany. I have always wanted to do learn about fMRI analysis. New to Python platform but proficient in MATLAB, I hope joining this forum is a good start.

1 Like

Hi all. I am Antony from India. Working as a Mathematics faculty at department of Computational Science, CHRIST University, Delhi-NCR Campus. I am an aspirant in this field of Computational neuroscience.

3 Likes

Hello everyone!
My name is Vaishnavi (Vaishu; she, her, hers)
I am a 3rd year PhD student at Western University, London, Ontario. I am co-supervised by Dr. Andrew Pruszynski and Dr. Julio Martinez-Trujillo. I am interested in somatosensory processing in the upperlimb (read hand etc.) and the cortex, as well as motor control of the upper limb. I am working on understanding these concepts better in my PhD (read- I basically know very little at this point).
I enjoy cooking and experimenting with food (haa… experiment at home as well :smile:), doing some craft work, reading fiction, and performing/learning salsa (the dance, not the sauce).

It’s lovely to be here, and I’m looking forward to learning and having fun :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi everyone, I am Anna Jafarpour, studying learning and memory at the University of Washington, USA. These days I am investigating the neural mechanism of encoding and retrieval of memories of naturalistic sequences of events. For my research, I use computational modeling and analytical techniques with ECOG/EEG/MEG signals mainly. I am very excited about being a mentor at NMA! Here is the link to my twitter profile https://twitter.com/annajafarpour.
Anna

4 Likes

Hi everyone, my name is Angel Huang and I’m a PhD student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, US. I am currently studying the thalamo-cortical interactions during attentional behavior in an animal model by combining multi-region in vivo ephys recording and optogenetics. I am excited to learn more about how to leverage machine learning to gain more insights from the data, and looking forward to starting NMA with you!

1 Like

Hi,
My name is Trinnawat Charoenpradubsilp. I’m from Thailand. Now I’m working as a data engineer at Rabbit Alchemist, a Bangkok-based company. Right now I’m quite interested in the Reinforcement Learning topic. Also, I would like to study other topics related with AI including Neuroscience. I will try to contribute anything I can. Let’s learn together.

Cheers,
Trinnawat

1 Like

Hello! My name is Dan Blustein and I’m an assistant professor of psychology and neuroscience at Rhodes College in Memphis, TN, USA. My main area of interest is in using nervous system simulations at various levels of abstraction to learn about how brains work with specific focus on invertebrate sensory networks and human sensorimotor processing + perception. My work has an engineering bent where I like to use embodied simulations (e.g. robot lobsters) and wearable prostheses to gather empirical support in the physical world.
Looking forward to serving as a mentor and learning new perspectives through the NMA process.
Cheers,
Dan

2 Likes

Hi! I’m Luke.

https://www.nia.nih.gov/about/staff/stoeckel-luke
https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=hTGh2hoAAAAJ&hl=en

I have recently been thinking about the questions below:

How can computational models of decision-making and behavior help us design interventions for behavior change?

How will neurocognitive ontologies help us build better measures and design better behavior change interventions?

3 Likes

Hi all,

I’m Lisa Yamada, a PhD student at Stanford University in the Brain Interfacing Lab.
I work with high frequency neural data from intracranial electrodes implanted in patients with epilepsy to create an algorithm for seizure prediction. If patients are warned about their seizures beforehand, it will provide them the opportunity to intervene/prevent their seizures and ultimately regain control of their lives.

I am excited to be part of the NMA community.

Best,
Lisa

6 Likes

Hi everyone,

My name is Xinran Zhang, I am a PhD candidate in University of Pennsylvania. My major research area is exploring EEG/ERP in decision-making process. I am very happy I can join in this group and study with you. I hope we can discuss together in the future.

Best wishes/Xinran

3 Likes

Hi all,

I am Suma Chinta, a second year PhD student at Purdue University in Pluta Lab. I study active touch in the mice whisker system. I am interested in understanding how the cortical and sub-cortical neural activity orchestrates behavior in animals.

Currently, I study the midbrain Superior Colliculus during whisker mediated active touch by utilizing extracellular silicone probe recordings and optogenetics.

When I am not solving the brain, I love to paint forest, nature, and scenery. I also love going on nature hikes for relaxing.

My pod is pod-107-vegan-woodlouse.
Looking forward to learning at NMA.

Here is a link to my twitter profile.

3 Likes

Ciao!
My name is Mario, I am from Italy. I am an undergraduate student at Drexel University doing my BS in Computer Engineering and my MS in Biomedical Engineering. I am really excited to learn more about BCI. It is since I saw Elon Musk launching Neuralink that I want to learn more about the field. See you soon!

1 Like

Hello!
My name is Spencer Powers, and I am a current senior (undergraduate) at the University of Southern California studying Aerospace Engineering with a minor in Statistics. While I am going to complete my aero degree, I am most interested in the intersection between computational neuroscience and machine learning, specifically learning algorithms for spiking neural networks running on neuromorphic hardware. I plan on applying to grad programs this fall in computer science, but any background I can learn in computational neuroscience will strengthen my foundation going forward. I look forward to meeting you all!

1 Like

Hi everyone!

My name is Miguel Maravall and I’m prof of neuroscience at the University of Sussex in lovely Brighton, UK. My lab’s main interest is in interpreting sensory responses that we record using electrophysiology and imaging; we use whisker touch and the mouse barrel cortex as our main model. Our recent work has involved training mice on whisker-guided discrimination tasks and also measuring tactile psychophysics in humans. More on our work is here: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/lifesci/maravalllab/publications/ I’m really looking forward to hearing from students and learning new perspectives through Neuromatch.

Miguel :wave:

1 Like

Hi!
I am Josslyn. I am so excited about NMA and happy to be on the observe track.
I used to work on educational products in China and now I am preparing to apply a master program on cognitive neuroscience.:cat2::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi everyone! I’m Luca, form Italy :slight_smile:
I graduated in physics and computational biology and I’m now a data scientist for Allianz.

I’ve always been interested in the topic of neuroscience, so I’m exited to start!

See you around :wink:

1 Like