Looking for affine transform mat file for T1 to EPI

Hello World,
I am trying to perform a beta series analysis on fMRIPREP’d data. Therefore, I need my mask to be in the same space as my functional data. My functional data is in MNI_asym space:43%20PM
So I need the affine transform matrix so I can align the mask I have to the MNI space. In FEAT this file would be reg/example_func2standard.mat. However, I cannot find the transformation in fMRIPREP.

Overall this is what I am trying to accomplish:
flirt -in my_mask.nii.gz -ref EPIscan.nii.gz -init EPI2standard.mat -applyxfm -out my_mask_standard.nii.gz

fslmaths my_mask_standard -thr 0.9 -bin my_mask_standard_bin

based off https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=FSL;f63f806d.1007

Thanks!

Just to clarify, your mask is currently in the subject’s native BOLD/EPI space, and you want to align it to MNI asym space?

To transform data from native space to MNI space, fMRIPrep uses a vector field deformation computed by composing (1) the affine transform between the subject’s BOLD space and the subject’s anatomical space and (2) the vector-field transform from the subject’s anatomical space to the standard space (in this case, MNI). Thus, you won’t find an BOLD-to-MNI affine transform matrix among the outputs: this would yield a poor alignment in comparison with fMRIPrep's nonlinear approach.

If your mask is currently in the subject’s native BOLD space, I would instead recommend moving it to MNI space by composing transforms (1) and (2) above.
(1) is <identifiers>_from-orig_to-T1w_mode-image_xfm.txt
(2) is <identifiers>_from-T1w_to-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_mode-image_xfm.h5

You can compose and apply them using antsApplyTransforms to warp the mask into MNI space as follows:

antsApplyTransforms \
   -i </path/to/mask.nii.gz> \
   -o </path/to/mask_space-MNI152NLin2009cAsym.nii.gz> \
   -r </path/to/reference_MNI_template.nii.gz> \
   -n NearestNeighbor \
   -t <identifiers>_from-T1w_to-MNI152NLin2009cAsym_mode-image_xfm.h5 \
   -t <identifiers>_from-orig_to-T1w_mode-image_xfm.txt

Note that the above call would change if your mask isn’t binary-valued.

1 Like