NeuroFedora: Free software for Free neuroscience

Hello everyone,

We would like to bring your attention to NeuroFedora, a community initiative to provide a Free (as in freedom), ready to use distribution for neuroscience. You can see our documentation at https://neuro.fedoraproject.org.

We have been working on it for the past few months and have quite a bit of software available already. However, as you will see from our backlog here, we have a large number that are still being worked on. More hands to help are always welcome. Please do get in touch if you have any queries, suggestions or if you would like to join the team—we actively want to help people at all levels learn the skills necessary to maintain and provide neuroscience related software.

As documented, we have communication channels on IRC, Telegram, and the mailing list.

Cheers!

1 Like

This looks great, awesome work! I currently use neurodebian for installing neuroimaging packages, is the goal for NeuroFedora to have more comprehensive coverage of different pieces of software? Are there other differences between the projects (to your knowledge)?

1 Like

I think it would be most accurate to say that Neurodebian inspired NeuroFedora. We have taken quite a few tools from their list, for example. As far as end-users are concerned there isn’t much difference. Both Neurodebian and NeuroFedora will provide them with a ready to use Linux based distribution to work on (one is good, two is better :slight_smile: ).

On the inside, though, there would be differences, such as the obvious one that Neurodebian packages are deb based while NeuroFedora are rpm based. The two communities also use different infrastructure, and apply different policies to their package cycles. I’m not too well versed with the Debian package cycle, unfortunately, so I cannot comment in too much detail here.

1 Like

We now have a ready-to-use/install ISO image with computational neuroscience tools available: