Introduce yourself!

Hi all! I’m Lauren (Nikki) Beloate, and I’m happy to be here to learn and observe.

I am a behavioral neuroscientist currently working in the Developmental Neurobiology rodent behavior core at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital (Memphis, TN). I have recently been learning machine learning techniques to apply to rat and mouse behavior (mostly DeepLabCut) and hope to soon get back to studying drug addiction and social behavior. Specifically, I plan on combining fMRI, optogenetics and chemogenetics to study the neural mechanisms underlying drug addiction, social behavior and the interaction of the two types of rewards. I believe that more computational-based methods, such as machine learning, will be invaluable to these plans.

5 Likes

Hi everyone,

I am Lukas, a (soon-to-be) first-year PhD student at the Max-Planck-Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences in the Visual Computational Cognition Group. I am interested in the semantic representations of objects in the human brain and artificial neural networks. I have just graduated from my Master’s degree in IT and Cognition at the University of Copenhagen. I have a background in Natural Language Processing (NLP) and am thus interested not only in vision but also in language. My ultimate goal is to understand how to best artificially model learning, and comprehending the environment. In this endeavor, I aim at understanding brains and various machine learning approaches. This is my personal website, in case you are interested to know more about my interests and research. I hope to learn lots, from different people. I revel in different perspectives and strongly believe that diversity is key.

5 Likes

Hi Everyone!
I’m Jenn Lewis, I am a Postdoctoral Researcher at University of Oregon, where I also received my PhD in Clinical Psychology. I study translational neuroscience, with an emphasis on understanding the mechanisms of psychopathology in adolescents and adults to better inform intervention and prevention. I’m excited to be here, to learn more, and hopefully get a chance to meet/talk with many of you!

Jenn Lewis

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Amir, 23, fifth-year medical student from Iran and an RA in neuroscience of olfaction at IPM.
My research interests are use of ML, DL models (generally interpretable learning algorithms) in analysing neurosciance data.
Happy to be in such a great academy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Bethany Ponte and I am an undergraduate at UC Davis. I am currently working towards a Bachelors in Psychology with an emphasis in Biology. I am going to apply to graduate school in the fall, and I am looking at neuroscience being my focus. I am interested in sleep and the ways that imposter syndrome effect peoples’ lives.

I am looking forward to learning more about neuroscience and the amazing people in the field.

2 Likes

Hi everyone! So excited to be here and to be a part of Neuromatch.

My name is Nidhi Seethapathi. I build data-driven and normative models of human movement. I am currently a postdoc at University of Pennsylvania.

I will be a mentor for Neuromatch. Please feel free to reach out me if you have any questions about my research area or if you’re seeking career advice of any kind :slight_smile:

Have fun!

• Nidhi Seethapathi
    Twitter: @nidhi_s91
7 Likes

Hello folks!

I’m Faheem Ershad, a rising third year PhD candidate working in the Biomedical/Mechanical Engineering Departments at the University of Houston. I have always been a neuroscience enthusiast and have taken a few courses on neural networks and brain computer interfaces. I’ve also developed a very basic BCI before, my GitHub might be of use to you if you’re interested in building in your own!

My research is mainly focused on developing flexible and stretchable electronics, particularly for health monitoring and wearables. I am trying to implement more machine learning into the signal analysis I do in my lab and hoping to learn as much as I can in order to improve the quality of my projects.

Nice to meet you all and can’t wait to really get started with the academy!

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

Hope you’re doing great.

I’m a medical student at Iran University of Medical Sciences. I’ve learned some math, DL, ML, fMRI analysis and some realistic neural models. I love trying out and reading models which I find in ModelDB website. I’ve helped in holding the first ever elective course in my university named “computational neuroscience” this semester. I’m also a bit familiar with NEURON software. I’ve been learning mostly online and sometimes in-person from other universities like Sharif’s at the electrical engineering faculty. my hobbies are rock climbing, running, hiking, skiing and TV shows such as Westworld and Altered Carbon. I hope we can do great things together.

4 Likes

Hello folks! I’ve signed up as a Neuromatch mentor although all this looks pretty intimidating at the moment! I am an Associate Professor at the Centre for Neuroscience, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India. Our lab is interested in understanding visual perception and object recognition.

We use a variety of experimental techniques: behavioural experiments in humans, brain imaging in humans, single-neuron recordings from the monkey brain, and of course computational modeling. The unifying goal is to understand how our brain codes for objects, and how this is different from machine vision. You can read more about us at https://sites.google.com/site/visionlabiisc/

6 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m a Neuroscience PhD student in Brazil who’s recently finished my MSc. I mostly do analysis on ephys data (LFP and spikes) focusing on neural oscillations. Recently my subject of interest has been hippocampal-cortical communication, and although I don’t have anything published yet, I’ve released a preprint on hippocampal-prefrontal interactions some weeks ago. For those of you who like me love twitter, this is my user. I’m very excited to take this course (my first summer course in neuro ever) and to be part of this wonderful community!

4 Likes

Hey there,
My name is Kevin Rusch. I’m a Master’s student at the University of London’s Computational Cognitive Neuroscience program (due to graduate this September), currently doing my thesis work at the University of Cambridge’s Consciousness and Cognition Laboratory. I’m also engaged in the MITx Micromaster in Statistics and Data Science as my background is in neurobiology and I’m trying to beef up my computational skillset.

My primary research interests lie with consciousness and higher order function, and my thesis work aims to detect the neural substrates of consciousness via the analysis of scale-free dynamics in complex brain activity.

I’m a cuban-born German who is supposed to be in London, but had to temporarily move to Florida when the travel ban made things a little too uncertain post-Brexit. I’ll be moving in with my girlfriend in California in about two weeks time though.

Far as interests and hobbies go… I like games (Chess, Smash, Age of Empires, Siege), reading, and art history. I also run some neuroscience communities online – reddit.com/r/neuroscience and reddit.com/r/compmathneuro among them.

Eager to get started,
Kevin Rusch

4 Likes

Helle everyone,

I’m Chaodan (April) Luo. I recently graduated from the University of California, Davis with a bachelor’s degree in cognitive science. I’m enthusiastic about the brain, using computational models to study and also its potential applications. I want to apply to graduate school in the computational neuroscience field and preferably in higher cognition subfield (such as emotion, decision making, social neuroscience),

I hope I could know more about the field, gain more skills and learn from researchers with different research interests and using different methods through this forum.

1 Like

Hello!

I am a PhD student in human and computer vision at York University under Prof.Elder. I am interested in computational models of vision and psycho-physics. I am also interested in neural networks/neuroscience that interface with the above areas. I completed an undergrad in computer science and mathematics (University of Toronto) , an MSc in Computer Graphics and I worked in films previously. Looking forward to being here :slight_smile:

irfa

2 Likes

Hi everybody,

My name is Yoni - over the summer I’m working as an RA at Columbia’s Center for Theoretical Neuroscience, but I’ll be joining Josh Tenenbaum’s Computational Cognitive Science lab as a lab manager in August!

I’m just spectating here (I’m hoping to participate actively if this happens again next year). But I’m still really excited to get to know some of you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello everyone!
My name is Anastasiia Klymuk! I’m phd student from Uzhhorod National University, Ukraine. I am studying Pathophysiology of human body but I’m really interested in neuroscience! So I hope to become closer to this field!
Good luck for everyone !

1 Like

Hi everyone!

This is musa, a recent PhD graduate from University of Houston, Texas.
I am a clinical neuroengineer/neuroscientist and have always had interest in computational aspect as well. I am hoping to learn a lot and contribute in any way I can to Neutomatch academy this summer. Thank you everyone, for making this happen!

My research work is related to deep brain stimulation for neurological disorders and involves intracranial oscillations recorded from deeper regions of human brain - we record from surgeries ourselves, not publicly available :frowning:

Aside from having experience in recording hardware and instrumentation, I do lots of signal processing to make sense out of brain oscillations (see publications). I am familiar with python but use matlab for the bulk of my work. So practicing python will be another one of my learning objectives.

Wishing everyone a great time with the program!

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am Claudia, PhD student of Biomedical Engineering at Mexico City. I am very interested in signal processing (EEG and ECoG). I actually work with EEG data for brain computer interfaces.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hello from Alaska & glad we all here learning & working together in such a difficult time with COVID19 - I rebuilt the glutametergic synapse and it’s function with real time data in Maya & Final Cut Pro then put it in Arctic Region Suoercomputing Center Immersive Environment to teach Neurochemistry. I’m recovered from ovarian cancer and wanting to get back to work. Hope to learn and awaiting technology to advance enough to rebuild models.

1 Like

HOPE U ARE GOOD NOW ! Again take care of yourself…

Hi everyone,

My name is Kyle, and I am a 4th year PhD student in the Electrical and Computer Engineering department at University of Wisconsin - Madison. I’m mostly interested in understanding the computational aspects of the brain relative to traditional computing (my background is in computer architecture). So far, I’ve worked on topics like bitstream computing where the information is encoded similar to the brain, but the information processing is quite different. Currently, I am working on reinforcement learning and biologically plausible training methods for feedforward networks.

I joined NMA to learn more about the aspects of computational neuroscience that I have no formal training in and to meet all you wonderful people! I also maintain in new spiking neural network simulator in the Julia language, so I am hoping to recreate some of the coursework in that package.

Nice to meet everyone!

1 Like