Introduce yourself!

Hello all,

It’s great to have a chance to connect. My name is Caterina Gratton and I’m an assistant professor in the psych department at Northwestern University. I’m working on setting up BIDS and fMRIprep pipelines for my new lab and have taken advantage of the great resources and message boards you all have put together. Thanks!

Caterina

10 Likes

Hi Everyone, my name is Izabela. I’m currently PhD at Max Planck Institute for Human Development in Berlin. My background is in computational neuroscience, cognitive robotics & psychology. My PhD focuses on brain plasticity in response to visual features present in various indoor environments (environmental neuroscience). I’m looking for resources and possibilities in making my fmri projects & analyses more efficient, to learn and expand my knowledge of available software.

11 Likes

Hi everyone, my name is Steve Slevinski. I am new to neuroscience. I am a systems engineer and programmer heavily involved in SignWriting and international sign language projects involving writing.

For my new position as a data manager in the neuroscience research lab, I am tasked with processing survey data and including it in the bids structure and then using the bids formatted data to create the compliance data for required reporting. Additionally, I will be involved in processing brain data from the initial processing, to data intensive transformations, to custom data analysis based on the project investigator’s needs. I will be using bash and R initially, but I would like to move from R to Python.

7 Likes

Hello all – I am Brian Winston, a research coordinator at the Center for Psychedelic and Consciousness Research at Johns Hopkins University. I am currently working on converting our imaging data to BIDS format; we run studies on the acute and enduring effects of drugs like psilocybin and LSD.

12 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Steven Meisler. I am a PhD student in a joint Harvard/MIT program. I am interested in the intersection of music and neuroscience, currently investigating functional and structural differences in musicians vs. non-musicians.

To that end, I am making a mostly-automated pipeline for my lab to process DWI data, everything from data reorganizing to post-processing. I have been using Tractoflow to preprocess images with success. I am now looking at DIPY and TractSeg to post-process streamlines and have been having trouble. I’ll make a dedicated post to explain my problems further, but if anyone has experience with DIPY and or TractSeg, please reach out!

Cheers,
Steven

16 Likes

Hey all, I’m Alex Rockhill, I’m a graduate student at the University of Oregon in the Swann Lab studying electrophysiology and movement disorders. I have been active in developing mne-bids and mne as well as making as many projects as possible reproducible and as much data as possible available.

Summary

This text will be hidden

7 Likes

Hi all,

my name is Roberto, I am a postdoctoral researcher at the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologiahttps://iit.it/. I am interested in applications of information theory to neuroscience as well as modelling of cortical dynamics. I have started working in neuroscience since a few months after a very big career change. I am am a mechanical engineer by training and have been doing research in Computational Fluid Dynamics at the University of Oxford until I decided to apply my computational modelling skills to help unraveling the mysteries of the brain.

Cheers,

Roberto

9 Likes

Hello there! I am Sid. I just started working as a research assistant for neuro-asthetics research. I haven’t worked much in the field before, and am very new to things like BIDS, which is really where I am struggling at the moment.

7 Likes

Hey, I’m Felix. Im doing my PHD in Neuroscience at the TU Dresden, Germany. I studied computer science and work a lot with machine learning algorithms on fMRI data.

6 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m Rikki :wave:

I’m a third year PhD student at Cardiff University, UK. My thesis is all about cortico-hippocampal networks and how they’re impacted by age and Alzheimer’s disease risk. To this end, I primarily use imaging methods that in some way index “connectivity” (e.g. diffusion MRI, resting-state fMRI).

I look forward to getting involved :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’m Ankur. I’m just finishing my PhD in Computational neuroscience, and moving on to my first post-doc position.

I’ve worked on network level modelling with tools like NEST. I am also a member of the Organisation for Computational Neuroscience (OCNS), and a volunteer at the Free/Open Source Fedora Linux community where I focus on NeuroFedora.

Links:

10 Likes

Hi all, I’m Lily Cheng.

I’m a PhD candidate from the University of California Irvine. I just started using BIDS, fMRIPrep, and nilearn. I am happy to join the community.

Cheers!

9 Likes

Hello ppl!
I am a postdoctoral researcher in the Institute of Neuroscience and Medicine (in the Applied Machine Learning Group) in Juelich/Germany. I am generally interested in neuroimaging and data analysis but currently I am focused on image processing and predictive modeling. I hold a bachelor’s in Electronic Systems, a master’s in Image/signal processing & data analysis and a PhD in machine learning applications in neuroimaging. I am slowly moving away from matlab and setting up a life with python, but always using Linux.
Best!
Georgios

9 Likes

Hi everyone.
I am Monalisa Chikezie. A Neuroscience student in Berlin. I am completely new to programming and data analysis. I’m interested in using Nilearn to analyze fMRI data. Still have no idea how it works.

8 Likes

Hey Guys,

I’m Michel Thiebaut de Schotten. With Chris Foulon we’ve been developing the BCBtoolkit (http://toolkit.bcblab.com) and we’re now receiving too many emails with questions so thought we could benefit from joining neurostars (actually Daniel Margulies recommended it). I opened a topic on that subject matter.
Thanks a lot for this resource.
Kind regards

michel

10 Likes

Hi. I’m a neuropsychology post-doc fellow at West Virginia University. Most of time is spent doing clinical work, but I have been doing some form of neuroimaging research since grad school. I started off learning how to do task-based fMRI analysis in brain voyager. Now, I am trying to learn how to do VLSM and DTI analsyses in a brain tumor population. I have been teaching myself SPM and afni, and I like learning about newer tools such as 3dSlicer and BCBtoolkit. I tend to ask specific questions regarding (sometimes very basic) methodological and practical questions about these various software packages. While SPM and afni have a ton of tutorials and discussion forms, I have had less luck finding extra info on the newer programs. Hopefully, I can find some of those answers here :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m a PhD student in Cognitive Neuroscience from Melbourne, Australia. My research involves working with advanced diffusion MRI models to investigate the contribution of white matter in childhood motor inhibition. I primarily work within the MRtrix3 suite to preprocess and model DWI data, and only recently branched out to other software platforms such as FSL and Freesurfer. I’m passionate about learning new methods and techniques in modelling and analysing dMRI data.

Looking forward to being a part of this community :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Mervyn

8 Likes

Hi everyone,

My name is Randal, and I was invited to this forum as one of the TAs for Neuromatch Academy 2020. (Thanks Pradeep!)

I’m originally from the Netherlands, but I’ve been in the US so long, it’s hard to tell. Originally, my specialization was models of memory, mostly medial temporal lobes, but also goal-directed navigation in PFC. I left academia in 2008 to work at a tech organization in Spain, and after that Silicon Valley. Recently was involved with neuromimetic modeling work associated with Berger’s lab at USC (via the startup Kernel), now working on a project to generate artificial “ground truth” networks for simualated recording and neural prosthesis in a collaboration between our non-profit and the HBP. Happy in Python, but for some reason spent most of the recent years in C++. Very excited for NMA 2020!

Cheers,
Randal

10 Likes

Hi everyone,

My name is Jen. I worked as a radiographer for about four years then I decided to study again. I am currently studying University of Dundee in Scotland for my MSc Medical Imaging program. It seems this is a good place to learn from many experts.

7 Likes

Jose here! I’m excited to participate in Neuromatch Academy!!!

• [Bio] I’m obsessed with everything related to electrical activity in the brain. From ion channels and single neurons, up to networks and neural oscillations. See www.guzman-lab.com

• [Techniques] Over the last 10 years, I’ve specialized in electrophysiological techniques, like patch-clamp and extracellular silicon probes. I also did live imaging (multi-photon and calcium imaging). Love everything that goes in real-time.

• [Modeling/simulations] I’m interested in cellular foundations of cognitive processes (like memory, attention, etc). For that, I make simulations based on empirical observations. I started doing things in C/C++ (www.stimfit.org) but I moved to Python.

While still looking for PI positions, I work in Vienna (Austria) at the Institute of Molecular Biotechnology developing neuroscience techniques to analyze human brain organoids.

Looking forward to sharing this experience with you all!

13 Likes